Yield: 8-10 servings
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 4-6 slices bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (see Note)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 bunch kale, coarsley chopped (swiss chard can be substituted)
- Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven (or large pot with a lid) over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic the the same Dutch oven; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the onion mixture and bacon; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through. Mix the kale into the soup just before serving.